Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Did I Forget Anything?

I decided to post my list of plants to grow in my garden this year so you all could help me remember what I forgot. I am planning as much from seed as possible without the aid of a greenhouse and trying to buy as few actual plants as I can. Seed sowing appeals to me. Maybe after the chicken house project is done, I will begin laying hints for a greenhouse. So here it is.... THE LIST:
  • Corn Bodacious, Honey 'Pearl
  • Dark Red Kidney Beans
  • Pinto Beans
  • Kentucky Wonder Wax Pole Beans
  • Kentucky Blue Pole Bean
  • Top Crop Bush Bean
  • Garden Pea Green Arrow, Maestro
  • Onion White Bunching Lisbon
  • Red, Yellow and White Onions
  • Leeks
  • Beets Detroit Dark Red
  • Broccoli, Hybrid Premium Crop
  • Cucumber National Pickling, Miss Pickler "Pioneer", Pearl Hybrid
  • Swiss Chard Mixed Colors, Fordhook Giant
  • Lettuce Bon Vivant, Buttercrunch, Red Sails, Rouge d'Hiver, Red Salad Bowl, Simpson Elite
  • Spinach
  • Squash
  • Zucchini
  • Cantaloupe Hybrid Alaska, Field's Sweet Gem
  • Watermelon Crimson Sweet
  • A few gourds on the fence for winter crafting
  • Carrots (maybe)
  • Strawberries
  • Bell Peppers (all kinds)
  • Tomatoes (all kinds)
  • Potatoes
  • Hot Peppers Jalapenos, Cayenne, Serrano, Green Chili kind?
  • Cauliflower?

So let me know if you think I have omitted anything vital. I have a pretty good sized raised bed garden and will be adding a 100x40 row garden in our north field. Room won't be an issue. I just want to can and preserve as much as possible. My mom wants to help, this way we use my space and free well water, she helps me weed and put up the harvest. I might have got the better end of the deal there.

9 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have your mother helping you--and free well water? Nice. I don't grow very many veggies but this year I am trying 'Red Orr' purple asparagus bean. I've grown the green variety and was very pleased so decided to spice it up a little this year.

    Do you have deer issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace! I am surrounded by pasture and will be adding the new row garden to the north field. There I fear I will have a deer problem. We usually use electric fence around the landscaped part of our property to keep out the cows and to keep them off the fence. They can be very destructive to a fence. So I thought I would go around the perimeter of the new garden with it too. We will see if this keeps the deer out. My mom hasn't gardened much in years so I am excited to have her help me. I usually do it all by myself, it will be great to have company.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you planning Summer and Winter Squash? Kale is good for Fall harvest. Parsnips and turnips too. An asparagus (from crowns) patch is wonderful. Cane fruit tastes good too! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good selection to me. What a great idea for you and your Mom both to work in the garden. The gourds will be a lot of fun for crafting. Hope you will share some of your projects with us. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have it all covered! You'll be eating very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great list. My girls always love the sugar snap peas and will snack on them while they're outside playing. I started the Buttercrunch from seed a couple of weeks ago inside and it's doing great.
    I'm jealous you can grow watermelon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather! Wow that list is great! I am extremely envious. It seems like you have a great selection of crops growing! That watermelon will be a nice season's end treat! It's also really nice that you have your mom to help you out. =)
    good luck with everything! I can't wait for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    I missed this post. You might want to try flying saucer pattypan squash they are so yummy and add to the color on your plate. We just love Swiss Chard too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP