Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Bed In Progress

I have finally started on step two of my new garden room planting bed. I dug the goofy trench a few weeks ago but really didn't know where to go from there. So I decided to do something, anything to get this project going because I just don't ever have enough on my plate at any given time. I went "down below" (as we call it around here) yesterday and picked up a yard and a half of compost from the landfill about an hour away. They make very nice compost and our landfill doesn't. I am using a method I read about to get rid of the lawn in the planting area. I layed down cardboard, wet it and then started piling the compost on top of it to weight it down. In theory the cardboard will smother the lawn beneath it and eventually break down. The worms will love it and I will be able to plant through it until it finishes composting itself. I also plan to add more dirt and more compost until the height of the mounded planting bed is where I like it. This is a low spot in my garden and it should stay moist enough.

 
This is what it looked like with the little trench to define the planting area. Not very pretty but it made the project seem real to ruin my lawn. No turning back now!

 
Here is the bed in progress. I will build the area around the spigot into a roundish rock area because the spigot is access to a spring and that means free water! The compost I added did not fill the whole area but we go shopping in the valley at least every week and a half or so and I will get more compost then. It did however raise it up six inches towards the fence in back and it will look nice when it is done. I hope!

 
Not a very technical dirt piling project but I hope it will work. It will seriously stink to have to dig all this out and start over removing the grass. Newspaper works so I really think this will, time will tell. I decided I need my own personal sod cutter, not a rental. Doyle doesn't think I do. He may be the smarter one here. I would have planting beds everywhere. I still might if this is effective.

 
And last but not least, this is the rough plan. I never work with a drawn out plan so this is a first for me. I hope it will help me to stay focused on the main goal. The plan has already changed a bit but the basic design is the same. My very A.D.D. brain needs a plan, it works like a list does for me. Neat and orderly.

18 comments:

  1. This is going to be pretty. I have used newspaper in the past but never cardboard. It gives me a good idea for an area in our woods that has grapevine taking over. I hope you enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun, I know it's hardwork, but just imagine the beautifullness that it will hold!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a good start. I put cardboard in the bottom of my latest raised bed, and will use cardboard or thick newspaper in the next as well. It worked well in the last bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to worry....the cardboard will work great. It's going to be a great planting bed and the shape is pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking great. I love the shape of the bed and that nice dark compost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! What a huge, fun new bed to play with!
    I am jealous that you have access to those awesome rocks for edging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,

    Looks like your plan with killing the sod should work. Unless it is wiregrass, nothing can kill or stop it. That bed is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used exactly this method to build a much smaller bed earlier this month. So far so good. No grass poking thru and my plants have been in about a week now and are still alive...
    http://hereontheprairies.blogspot.com/2009/05/building-flowerbed.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks really great Heather. This method will work well, but might take a bit longer than removing the sod altogether, though it doesn't stop the planting:) time for real fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome, Heather!! I envy you for such great ideas. I dont' have the time, sometimes I don't have the courage to start a project like this! But right now I am thinking more and more to do a bed like yours, because I have some flower seeds and I would love to put them near the coniferous mini-garden.

    Great work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it works. I made all my beds this way using either newspaper or cardboard. In some areas, I didn't even bother putting anything down since the only thing growing there was hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic! Your compost is fabulous! We are trying newspaper mulch in the garden this year with grass clipping for weed control..we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cardboard is great for burying stuff; use multiple layers if you have enough, or overlap at seams. Some types of grass, like nut sedge or bermuda grass rhizomes, can persist for years in a dormant state, so don't be too bummed if things pop through after a while, you can always bury them again. Question, why do you call it a goat garden; are the goats going to eat everything?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great start! I heard using cardboard works so you should be fine. I think I have ADD too! LOL I start so many projects at once too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a huge fan of cardboard for sod-killing and weed control. You can see where we used it for a new bed here: at Henbogle blog on March 29 and the finished prepared bed on April 22 , 2007. (Couldn't copy a link into the comment.) We've used it in many other places, too.

    Your bed will look great and you will love the cardboard method! Soon, you'll be trolling for cardboard at appliance stores and dumpsters across the county ;-)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so on the ball, girl! I do love what you're doing! I am working along with you, and have so many photos it's ridiculous that I haven't posted anything yet;-( We worked our butts off (oh, don't I wish;-) ) in our backyard and it's looking great. I have to upload photos, that's what's preventing me from posting. Silly, huh??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP