Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Monday, May 4, 2009

Edging- Idaho Style

Many posts back I asked How on Earth you make a bed look like this one. Not so much the peonies but the edge itself. Clean and neat. I have done everything but this until just recently. Several people commented on how to get this done. Anna from from Flower Garden Girl blog suggested cutting in strait down from the lawn side and angling the cut towards that cut from the bed side. I drew you a picture to illustrate what I think she meant by that. And no, when I say I drew you a picture, I am not being a smart alleck. I really did draw you a picture with the paint program on my computer. Someone really ought to come up with a better program for all my garden drawings, that program is junk. But for today's lesson it will suffice.
The dark black lines indicate the angles of the shovel or edger you use to cut into this area. I did this on several of my beds so far and it works like a dream. It looks nice and clean and I can't wait to see how it holds up and how often I will have to redo it. I also plan to back fill the area a little with my super fine bark mulch just to give it a completed look. I did some research today on edgers themselves. Flowrgirl1 from Live To Garden suggested a tool she found at Kmart several years back. It is a half-moon shaped edger with a T-bar handle that she says works very well. The one she uses is made my Martha Stewart. I also found a huge assortment of them on Amazon and the one I think I will order has a foot shaped top that you step on with your whole foot and not just your toes.Kind of like taking a big step with a built in spine on the sole. It seems less likely I will hurt myself with that kind than the traditional. You can also cut your main edge with a power edger and go back for your second, angled cut with a shovel. I used a shovel for the whole thing. It worked fine. I still have the island bed to do but the rain won't seem to let up long enough to get that done. Maybe tomorrow morning.
This is similar to what I mean by a step-on edger. This one was sold by Gardener's Supply but is no longer available. Don't know why but I like the idea. I will have to go in search of just the right one and let you all know what I find.

This one is an example of a Half-Moon shaped edger. I thing it looks wide enough to do the job without breaking the arch of your foot if your lawn is like mine. Very dense and hard to dig in. This one has a round handle as opposed to a T-bar handle but it ought to work the same way. Funny how garden tools are finally starting to be designed with ergonomics in mind. Took them long enough.

22 comments:

  1. I do a similar method but just use the old shovel. I really need to get one of those half moon edgers. They would be very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use a plain old round pointed shovel. But after years of perfecting it's use.

    I also dig a wider 'trench' so there's more mulch at the edge. Edging once a year in spring usually does the trick but in cases where the lawn has invasive plants - more often is required. Quackgrass is really a four letter word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just use a regular old shovel but have long admired the half moon edgers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! When my roundup method fails, I'll be using this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's what the half moon thing is for :) We've had one and I've barely ever used it. Our grass is really hard to cut through too. It sure does look neat and tidy all edged like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did very good on your drawing. I use a flat edge shovel, and then an old garden pick that was my granpas. It works well. Of course you have to continue to do it...but it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Kim is feeling inspired he does this cut on our beds. Once or twice a year is his limit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's how I do my beds. I just use a regular shovel though. The soil I remove I reuse to build up other areas (like behind my husband's garage) and make new gardens. Everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use a half-moon edger very similar to the Gardner's Supply Co. one. I've always heard this method referred to as Victorian trenching.... or am I confusing it with something else?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so good at doing drawings with the paint program. It's not that easy and your lines are nice and straight! I did one once when a friend stayed here and watered for us. I have beds all over the property and I wanted her to know where all of them were. LOL Mine wasn't near as neat as yours are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use rocks...the good looking edges you've discussed would look so much better! gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bed and great tips on edging! We don't edge our beds as well as I'd like to. I just don't have the strength or energy to do it and hubby is not that interested in doing it. But maybe if I try out that half moon tool I could do it myself. --Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh... forgot to ask.... what software program do you use to do the drawings of your garden beds? I need to rearrange some beds and need something better than pencil and paper. I'm a bit overwhelmed so any tips would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We fight the edging problem all the time. Actually, I love what you did with your new island bed (from the previous post). Setting the rock back and providing a mulch strip for the mower to ride over, I'd call that brilliant and very workable for a country place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your drawing with the paint program came out very well. And I love the look of that edging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Heather~~ I think a lot depends on the grass type. You know, the clumpers versus the runners. Grasses that run will do everything in their power to ruin your day. Even the clumpers such as perennial ryegrass need to be edged but it's just the blades and not those infernal roots. I've used a straight edged shovel and a pair of sideways hand clippers for my back lawns because their area is pretty small.

    Thanks for the info on the paint program I requested earlier. I'm still working on my wimping out tendencies but hope to overcome them soon and check it out. Your edging illustration looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look but don't have the patience! You did a great job with your computer program no matter how much you dislike it :) Keep the great info coming Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh good, I'm glad it worked. I have to do mine once a year. I haven't done the new beds yet. I was going to do it today but I didn't finish putting the annuals in the ground. I'm exhausted. I've been working part-time at the garden center and then coming home to my own gardening chores. I should drop a few lbs. I hope. Your drawing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I line most of my beds with a red brick edging. I think I may like your technique better. I will have to give it a try.

    Happy Gardening - Splendid Peonies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a great post, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Concrete kerbing
    Brisbane Kerbing - Add beauty and value to your landscape by having continuous concrete garden edging. Numerous Kerbing Designs avaliable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Servicing Byron Bay to Bribie Island, locally owned and operated we are well known for concrete garden edging concrete garden edging and carpark kerbing at very competitive rates Competitively priced concrete edging services from Brisbane to Byron Bay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP