Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Garden Helpers


This is Emma, my niece. She and her identical twin Elle, helped me in the yard and garden all day yesterday. They are three years old and so fun to be around. When they were born they weighed in at 2 lb 12 oz., and 1 lb 15 oz., but you would never know that now! They have never experienced delays or holdbacks that some children experience after such prematurity. They were true miracles and I love them dearly. I decided to show their pictures today as my daughter is 13 years old and rolls her eyes whenever the camera angles her direction. These two are easier to capture with a smile. Emma watered for a solid hour with only minimal interference from me about raising the hose higher so she didn't bore holes around new seedlings. She did a fabulous job!

 
This is Elle, and she seemed more interested in helping with chicken house construction. She got too cold watering and wanted another job. She got to help me stuff straw mulch around the already growing plants in the raised be veggie garden. She is equally helpful just with different interests. These two work tirelessly. I hope they will have a love of the dirt and gardens too! We are going to try watering less this year and I believe the key to that lies squarely with mulch. We will see.
  
And finally, a little progress on the chicken house. So far no one has turned us into the building inspector. I figure my excuse will be to remind him I still pay taxes for the last several years on the chicken house that used to be here. Can you really need a permit for a chicken coop? Surely not. I am hoping that today we can get the roof up over the chicken house. The framing is almost complete, and we had help. Yeah for progress! (And for good friends who will help you out with building projects!)

21 comments:

  1. Good luck with the picnic table. Your nieces are very cute. Family helps to keep the world where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of the cutest helpers I ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a pair of sweethearts! And just think, you're encouraging a new generation of gardeners (and chicken lovers)! How does Elle pronounce her name, "L" or "Ellie"? I love mlc's comment "Family helps to keep the world where it belongs." That should be everybody's motto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so so cute! Glad to hear that they are doing so well now. It is a miracle! Great progress on the chicken house! -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute are they - hard to tell apart? Here we need a permit to build anything I think no matter how small. I'd probably need one to build an outhouse and it would probably cost an arm and a leg! But then that's Washington for ya anymore it seems. Ding 'em for every penny ya can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so cute with sunglass half her face...ha!

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing to have the help of two such lovely gardeners! Sounds like you have been busy as usual. Enjoy your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What good helpers you've got there. Peanut is much more helpful in the garden than her older brother is. I think you are right about the mulch. Once my seedlings pop out of the dirt, I will be adding mulch myself. Here's hoping for bountiful crops!

    I didn't need a permit or inspection for the shed we built last summer, but I did ask around first just to be sure. I didn't want to get into trouble!

    Happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet little garden helpers! I had the best Mother's day today, got to spend it with my new week old grandson, and my 3 year old granddaughter, who helps me water with a little watering can I got her. She's been doing this since she was able to hold it. It doesn't get any better than that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather,

    Cute helpers for sure. They might just get the gardening bug from their favorite aunt.

    The shed you might cut the rafter tails so a gutter can mount on it for a rain barrel. You never know it might come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute little helpers you have! It looks like the chicken house is really coming along. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather, cute nieces! We had to get a permit for a tool shed(!) if it was a certain size so I made sure ours fell just below that! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day..and I'm glad I'm not the only mom who gets the rolling eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so big now....tell your sister I think they are adorable! And your coop is turning into a house...nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are the most precious kids! I saw their pics on your FB page! Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful girls! I sensed that you are proud of them and you have all the reasons to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather,

    Wow! They have gotten so big since I saw them last. Oh yeah, that was the day they came home from the hospital. Whew, time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your nieces are adorable...and so helpful! And I totally understand the 13-yr-old mentality; my son is 12 and I also had a daughter so, yeah, I get it;-0

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP