Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Monday, September 7, 2009

More Pergola Progress

 
We got a good start on the pergola this weekend. The goofy boards on each corner are just braces we used to hold up the corners until we got some of the top pieces on. 

 
There will still be six timbers that run perpendicular to the ones you see going right to left in this picture. The notching of each board is taking longer than we thought and the next course of timbers will be harder as each one will have six places to notch and not just the two we have now. 

 
The shade this provides will be very dappled as the spacing was a touch wider than I thought it would be but it should work great. I plan to grow grape vines and maybe mingle those with some type of climbing rose and that should help with the shade a lot. We also ran into a small snag when we dug the 2 ft. deep holes for the cement tubes and brackets last week. Our pergola is not a square shape as originally planned but had to be 1.5 ft wider than my little plan called for because we found our gray water line leading to the septic tank, right where my holes were going. At least now we know where it it :-D No project around here ever goes without a hitch. Hitches make it interesting. I am hoping we will be done with this project by next weekend. 
In the spring I will build some flower beds around the patio and it will be harder to notice the rectangular shape it ended up being. Can't wait to get this done, I have so many other things that need finishing before the snow flies. Where on earth did the summer go?

23 comments:

  1. Looking good! I'm sure it will bring you many years of enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - where did the summer go? I feel a need to hurry, hurry and finish so many projects before the ground freezes and the long winter begins. I bet people in the south don't feel fall the same way we do.
    The pergola looks good, I'm impressed with your speed in working on the project. Something like that would take weeks around here, with lots of mistakes, so we'd probably have to just hire it out and pay a bunch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, look at the size. I suspect it is going to be this massive judging by the size of timber in the earlier post.... Definitely a real treasure! Cheers, ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking great! Next year you'll really get to enjoy it. Any planting thoughts to cover the pergola?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great so far. I have something similar on my back porch and vines grow on it but you'll probably have to put some string between the planks while they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. will you enlarge the patio to match the new size?i think it looks great, and that people won't notice it's not square. i'm also curious to see what you will grow on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,
    It is coming along nicely! It will bring you some nice shade for summers.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, you should be so proud of all you guys have gotten done this year, amazing! Love the pergola...Brian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose the hitches keep things interesting. And to make you feel better, technically a pergola is supposed to be rectangular. :] For some reason I thought you were planning a gazebo. Nice that the beams are already sealed so you won't need to paint/stain. Just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather,
    looking great. i can imagine what is coming ahead. I am sure you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks wonderful! I can just picture it with some grape vines...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Heather! I am guessing you guys plan on living here forever with the amount of work you put into the place. Lots of love - you can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And add little white lights tangled in the branches for lots of atmosphere. It really is quality construction and a nice size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Heather..I am just catching up! Great pergola!! We have a small one over our deck off of the kitchen. Planted a spring of wisteria last year that has TAKEN off this year. Hope you are able to enjoy your new patio before the snow flies. Looks great! Loved seeing where your timbers came from..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great progress- I look forward to the finished pictures. Very nice, I know you'll enjoy it.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  16. Real progress. Looking good. Now if I could only get my friend with his portable sawmill to set it up again I'd go cut some of my larger cedars.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job--it's looking fabulous! I'm glad you could still work around your septic tank and make it work! Do you like Wisteria? I love the look of wisteria on pergolas. Oh, I was also wondering if you decided to do that other island bed you were thinking of? I enjoy perusing your website and seeing all of the fun projects you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking great Heather! I'll miss you at the garden tour this weekend!
    Do we ever get to see yours in person? (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's looking wonderful, Heather. We had to opt for shade sails to cover our patio, but I can't wait to build something for the middle of the yard. We regularly consider a fire pit, but we have a burn ban most of the year, so something with shade will probably be more practical!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post - pergola pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    pergola pictures

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP