Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Finally in the Garden!

I am so excited to finally get into the raised bed garden. It has seemed like the longest snow melting season in history even though this time last year we were still covered in snow. Maybe two heavier snow years in a row has worn me down. But I am over it now. I even braved the wind to go outside. Don't get the wrong idea... Idaho isn't always windy, just in the spring when you really want to go out. It will die down soon enough it just irritates me to no end. I think I even got a sunburn on my face. Whoohoo!

 
I worked 6 of my 12 beds today. We turned them and added compost to each one. I like lots of compost. It makes things grow better in my garden. In case you're wondering the metal grates over each box are cattle panel that is rigid and sits on top of each bed. This keeps the cats out. And the dogs out. I learned this after the first year without them. But it still allows the goats to eat whatever they want. Really they leave everything but the strawberries alone. Goats are browsers so they will eat anything dry and leave most things that aren't. Except strawberries, grapes, red twigged dogwood bushes, new fruit trees, roses. You get the idea.
 
 
I also planted two beds full of peas. These little trellises are planted with Green Arrow shelling peas on either side of each wooden trellis. That will be lots of peas to harvest and freeze for winter eating. I can't wait. I haven't tried Green Arrow before so hopefully they will taste great. They came highly recommended.

 
And last but certainly not least this 4 x 10 bed is another bed of shelling peas. Maestro is the name of this pea and they were the shelling pea I planted last year and loved. Great flavor and good storage in the freezer. My only problem with this pea was that I did not plant enough of them. This year I ought to have plenty. We used metal stakes to make a zigzag pattern and ran string between each one at 6 levels. I planted peas on each side of the strings so that I could harvest all the peas without having to get into the bed and smash down the dirt. Rows would have made me have to climb in. I think this is a viable alternative. We will see how it goes. This too is experimental this year.  I will keep you posted. 
The package the seeds came in said to plant as soon as I could work the earth. Today I could work the dirt so I planted. I hope they can truly handle frost (freeze) as that is destined to happen in these here parts. Like how I said "these here parts"? Makes is sound like I ought to start the post with "howdy pardner". Maybe the next post.

22 comments:

  1. I hope you have a bumper crop of peas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Glad you finally got out into the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set up. You'll soon have tons of peas-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a very productive day in your garden.... I did too. Wasn't it great to have some sun?
    Good luck with your peas. Sugar Snap peas are our favorite and the only pea I grow anymore. Since the pod is edible too, it is a good yielder for my limited space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful exactitude! How detailed and precise! My garden is but a wild thing compared to yours. Cheers! R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raised gardens are the best for keeping those little critters out!
    Thanks for sharing your great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather,

    Those beds look great and im excited to see how your zig zag peas come on!!

    Keep us updated!

    http://ryans-garden.blogspot.com/

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! I'm sure your itching to see things start growing. I need to get out with the tiller and finish the in ground beds. Maybe today before the cool front comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you were glad to get in the garden. Looks like you got a lot accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so beautiful, can't wait to see it when it's green!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your beds are looking good. I am so glad you were able to go outside and enjoy yourself. Doesn't feel so good to be in the sunshine again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very organized - I'm sure it will be a great harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, Heather, like Ginger said, you are very organized. I hope you will have a great harvest this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice looking garden beds, and so well laid out. Great thinking on keeping the cats and dogs out with cattle panels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what great trellis ideas! i'm still thinking about how to trellis my green beans, etc. and these will really help! i'm looking forward to your results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, have you been busy?! Everything looks great! I love, love, love PEAS! I hate that I don't have a garden spot this year. I am planting flowers so I'm excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Howdy right back! We had our first day over 60 in Coeur d'Alene yesterday but it is supposed to be back down in the mid 50's and rain by the weekend! I am going stir crazy so I may finish the chicken coop and the raised beds this weekend. Great post and pictures! Keep up the good work! BTW....would you be interested in an Urban Garden Project Seed Exchange? Let me know...I will have extras this year for sure and always love to find new types of plants!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather, I am so impressed! I love your peas bed, espesially - it's a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Heather,

    Great post on the raised beds and peas! I'm doing raised beds this year (1st time) and putting a cattle panel over the bed to keep the cats out is a great idea that I will employ. Love the goat pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had good success myself with both Green Arrow ane Maestro. Have you ever frozen sugar snap peas? If so, please do a post about your experiences. I've tried it, but didn't like how they turned out. I don't expect the texture of a frozen veggie to be as good as fresh, but I was really disappointed, and even with a small 4x4 bed, I sometimes have more peas than we can eat fresh, so I need a good way to preserve them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP