Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Cleaning


















This is the big yard, which in good spring weather and after some actual sunshine, looks pretty and green. Now it looks drab and dreary. I will be eating these words when all I do is mow.
















I don't know too many people who love to rake leaves and we are certainly no exception. We have a very big yard in the middle of our circle drive. It has old willow trees around the perimeter and they drop a ton of leaves during fall and early winter. Occasionally we don't get them raked before winter and have found that we would still rake again in the spring even if we raked in the fall. We are leaning toward once only in the spring. When I say "we", I really mean "he". I don't rake much, thankfully. So Doyle started the raking project. The reasoning for this is stated in the next paragraph.

This week we decided to do a 7-day diet called the Sacred Hearts Diet. We both know this is a crash diet and don't usually follow along with things in this unhealthy manor but we decided we needed a major jump start to a healthier eating lifestyle. I must admit I would happily eat my own arm at this point. My husband is a lot less angry about it than I am. He just finds constructive things to do. I bitch about it to anyone that will listen. Sorry. He is down a lot more than me and he thinks his rosier outlook is doing that for him. Blah, blah, blah. I am hungry and can say with all honesty, when this is over, I think I will love eating healthier food. As long as it is considered a true food. Veggie soup sucks after 4 days of it. But we made it this far so we will finish it. Who knew I would so look forward to banana and skim milk day. Crazy.

11 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have all those leaves for your garden or for composting...a great natural resource. We really have to scavenge for ours. (like driving down alleyways looking for bags, raking other people's leaves, etc.)

    Hope you survive your diet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I don't know what the Sacred Hearts
    Diet is, but I've been informed that I need to lose weight recently and met with a dietitian 2 weeks ago to that effect. So far I've lost 4 lbs. I know what you are going through somewhat. When you said you're angry you really said it all. Once I recognized how important anger had become in my life and what the triggers to anger were I found it easier to eat less. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your property is beautiful and so peaceful-looking! I love those huge old trees.

    Good luck with the diet. It will surely be easier to enjoy healthy food when all of summer's bounty becomes available :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better soon and meet your dietary goals without going completely insane. You know you're hungry when your arm looks delicious. Your land is breathtaking. I have three Sweet gum trees that are extremely slow with leaf shedding so I can relate. But it's worth it. Today I was digging into last year's pile and it was the most crumbly, brown yummy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barren lots are all part of winter. The leaves have sheltered all that wonders underneath.
    I do not envy you having to mow it, though.

    Good luck with the diet. Maybe after the initial week you can transition to a healthier way of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to enjoy the raking. On a nice cool fall day it's great exercise and my daughter loves it too. She doesn't help much, mostly just jumps around. Sometimes I'll use the mower to direct the leaves into a pile while doing the last mowing. It helps break them up a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hang in there. I'm always bitchy on a diet, too, so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a lot of raking! You're almost done. I don't have the willpower to do diets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not like spring cleaning indoors, but will quite happily tackle the garden spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so much land, and that is something we consider a luxury here! I have a nice yard at 1/3 of an acre...but it isn't 'country living' by any means! My absolute favorite tree has been the Willow, ever since I was a child. We had one in our yard, but I left there at age 12, and never had one again. I used to love sitting & playing under it! I'm sorry you're going through such pain w/this diet! I hate diets! Yet, I do need to shed a few spare lbs...where do I get a copy of this diet? (Although, I'm not sure I want to suffer!!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someday, I will have that much space to garden. A girl can dream can't she? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP