Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Idaho Huckleberries

 
This weekend we finally left the house. Whoohoo! We went camping and it was  very nice to get out for a minute. We didn't go far, only about an hour away but it was 20 degrees cooler and no one was around. We have created the little farm and big garden we always wanted but that has meant that leaving for a couple of days is somewhat of a fiasco. We watered and mowed and watered and thanked my mom profusely for keeping an eye on things. I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into.

 
These pictures are of huckleberries. This berry is the Idaho state fruit and darn fun to pick. They are generally smaller than a blueberry but similar in shape and appearance. They turn dark purple when they are ready and grow wild in the mountains of several western states. Mine is one of them. They are quite tart and tangy when you eat them fresh off the bush but are the most delectable thing ever when added to homemade sourdough pancakes. We make muffins with them too but the pancakes are my favorite! 
  
Even one of my dogs, Marley, appreciates just relaxing in the woods.
Our camping trip ended up just being Doyle and I and it was nice to just read and pick berries and sit in the shade without the guilt associated with knowing I should be doing something else. I got three novels read and a stack of magazines looked through and didn't think once about not having internet until Doyle asked how I was doing without it. Then I missed it. I know that I love camping (in a nice camper) but I could never be shipwrecked on a deserted island without modern conveniences. No world wide web access would kill me. For sure.

19 comments:

  1. It's always so nice to get away, isn't it? But so hard to do during the summer. Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Sounds like a perfect time. Enjoy your huckleberries!!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love huckleberries, we picked them in WV a long time ago. The bear love them too. Glad you got out camping, we need to also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know huckleberries were real!! I sure would like to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to get away and great to find the huckleberries!
    The internet is very addictive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a perfect getaway. Ideal and tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even seen a huckleberry. Sounds like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We LOVE huckleberries! In Pancakes are our favorite way to eat them,too. Some friends told us about a spot they picked this year where they were as big as blueberries....from all the spring rain, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly wait until huckleberry season here. I hope they're abundant. I just ate the last of last year's in muffins.

    It looks so green and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look good! The ones that grow here are red and sound like they taste the same; tart but yummy!
    Sounds like you had fun camping, and glad you were able to take a break for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so that's what a huckleberry looks like. Looks like a blackberry or a blueberry to me, I cannot really differentiate. It must be fun going camping, to relax and forget about work once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a nice camping trip. I haven't been camping in years but soon when the girls are a little older we'll make a trip. The huckleberry looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful berries. I bet they taste great and pancakes over a fire sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heather! I am glad you had a cool break! I've never tried huckleberries. I'd like to. Tart taste is OK to me. I am the only one in the family who eats tart black currants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're going huckleberry picking this Saturday up near 4th of July pass. My grandparents started the family tradition over 60 years ago, and now family comes from across the country to have a family reunion, pick huckleberries and eat huckleberry pie with homemade ice cream. I'll have to do a post - gotta remember my camera! We are pretty lucky to have huckleberries nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Camping and huckleberry picking sounds like a lot of fun! I have been enjoying your blog and added you to the Olive Branch blog roll! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you had some downtime. I hope you brought plenty of work home with you. Huckleberries that is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love getting away and your camping spot looked splendid! I loved the peaceful look of your dog! Welcome home. So did you bring any huckleberries home? Did your mother survive (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Heather~~ What did we ever do without the Internet? Or cell phones? LOL

    I've got an evergreen huckleberry Vaccinium ovatum. The berries are the size of BBs and not all that tasty but the plants are beautiful.

    I wonder if your Idaho huckleberry would grow here in western Oregon.

    It's always fun to get away. It sounds like your trip was restful. How nice of your mother to hold down the fort.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Huckleberries very good and i never saw like this..............

    ___________________
    Christena
    Get instant cash

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your ideas, suggestions or greetings. I love to hear from you and read them all.
-Heather

About This Blog

We started this blog in Feb. of 2009 to help us stay motivated and to track our progess in the garden. We live on 5 acres surrounded by Idaho farmland. We have wildlife galore and are attempting to attract more in the bird catagory. This is our journal. Welcome!

Us

Us
Oregon Coast 2008

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP